Poetry in translation series

My identity is not merely for me to be identified by you. It often helps me to remember who I am too. I am the sum of my beliefs and that, sometimes, makes me distraught as beliefs change in value and get reduced to naught. Thus, I can never be truly caught, says Poet Karkuzhali Sreedhar in this Tamil poem:

நான் அவளாகவும் இருக்கிறேன்
இவளாகவும் இருக்கிறேன்
சில நேரம் யாரென
நானே அறியாதவளாகவும் இருக்கிறேன்.
புகைபோலக் காற்றில் தவழ்ந்து
கண்களுக்குப் புலப்பட்டும்
உன் கைகளில் சிக்காமல் நழுவுகிறேன்.
ஒரு நொடி
நாசியில் நறுமணமாய்க் கமழ்கிறேன்.
ஆழ்ந்து சுவாசித்து
நான் யாரென
நீ வரையறுக்க முற்படும்
அடுத்த நொடியில்
கமறும் நெடியாகிறேன்.
உலகை வலம்வரும்
காற்றின் மகளாக உருவெடுக்கிறேன்.
ஒரு சட்டகத்தினுள்
சிறைப்பிடிக்க முயன்றாலோ
நொடிப் பொழுதில் மறைகிறேன்.
 
 
I am that woman
and also this woman.
Sometimes, I am
unaware of who I am.
Floating in the air
like smoke,
though visible,
I slip away
without getting caught
in your hands.
For a second,
I am the fragrance
wafting up the nose.
Inhaling deep
the next moment
after you try
to determine
who am I,
I turn into
an odour
that chokes.
I transform into
the daughter of wind
which circles the earth.
I disappear in an instant
when attempted
to be captured
into a framework.
~Sri 1342 :: 13092020 :: Noida
(Translation by Sri N Srivatsa)