Poetry in translation series

 

Is patience still a virtue when someone never stops testing you? Would you continue to remain in silence when assaulted with verbal violence?
A balloon may be elastic but will burst if pressure is applied beyond a limit and chaos will reign instead of journeys along preset paths is the inference evident from this Tamil poem penned by Karkuzhali: 


என்னிடம் நீ பேச வரும்போது
ஒதுங்கிப் போக முடியாமல்
பதிலுக்குப் பேசத் துவங்குகிறேன்.
எனக்குக் கோபம் வந்துவிடக் கூடாதென்று
பத்துவரை எண்ண முடிவு செய்கிறேன்.
எனக்கு யாரென்றே தெரியாத மனிதர்களைக்
கடிந்து பேசுகிறாய்,
காதைத் துளைக்கும் சொற்களால் குற்றம்சாட்டுகிறாய்.
ஆயிரம்வரை எண்ணி முடித்துவிட்டேன்;
அங்கிருந்து நீயும் நகரவில்லை
நானும் நகரவில்லை.
நமக்குக் கீழேயும் மேலேயும்
முடிவற்ற நீள்வட்டப் பாதையில் சுழல்கின்றன
பூமியும் வானும்;
கூடவே, என் இரண்டு காதுகளும்.
Unable to step aside
when you come to talk to me,
I start to speak in return.
In order that I do not get angry,
I decide to count till ten.
You abuse people
who are not known to me at all.
You accuse with words
which bore through the ears.
I have finished counting
up to one thousand.
You have not shifted from there
and I have not moved either.
The earth and the sky
rotate in an endless elliptical orbit
above and below us,
alongwith my two ears.
~Sri 1241 :: 11122020 :: Noida
(Translation by Sri N Srivatsa)